Cracking for Dimwits....?   

Cracking for Dimwits....?

Postby vanorak » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:45 pm

Hi....just thought I post a quick question on here to highlight my ignorance, hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I use an old Tomtom Go 920, or at least I did until it died a couple of months ago. I was happy with the device, despite the maps being very out of date. It did everything I needed it to do, as a motorcyclist....A to B routing with avoidances, turn by turn vox, mp3 audio (both via Bluetooth to my headset), plus it had an audio jack out, for the times when the headset battery ran out on a long journey. Aside from the lack of IP67/68 rating, it was the ideal motorcycle GPS (compact, rugged, foolproof). The latest motorcycle specific satnavs are really glitchy from all accounts, with stuff on there I'd never use, plus they're ridiculously pricey. I'd like to use the same device (Go 920/930) but with up to date maps (UK, Western Europe)...I'm not arsed about all the other features, other than speed camera alerts...fuel and campsite POIs would be useful for touring.

I've been browsing this site and it seems like I can source and use up to date maps, but will need to reconfigure the unit in order to do so. As I understand it, I need a navcore to match the map(s), plus a patch for satellite recognition (quick fix?)...

If some kind soul would like to provide an 'operations list' for dummies, I'd be most grateful. Bear in mind you're talking to someone with limited computer skills, so a simple 'to do' list would be really useful....eg.

connect device to laptop
open this file
press this button etc.

any help much appreciated. I'll trawl through the forum tutorials and hopefully stuff will sink in...

Thanks, V :023:
vanorak offline

Re: Cracking for Dimwits....?

Postby fredderf » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:33 pm

If you're happy with the device as it is, then all you need to do is to update the map.

To do that, the first thing is to read this tutorial to find out what version of navcore you have installed and download an appropriate map:

topic19485.html
fredderf offline

Administrator

Re: Cracking for Dimwits....?

Postby jcoltrane » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:26 pm

Hello
When you say your Go920 "died", do you mean : it felt on the road and broke into pieces, the screen is broken ?
Or as you didn't update the navcore in 2019 to fix the WNRO syndrom, for six months your 920 take half an hour or more to find and synchronize the satellites ?
I use a Go730 and upgraded the navcore for this reason. And I usually update the map with speedcams twice a year.
jcoltrane offline

Return to General Discussions about TomTom