Please tell me if I'm on the right path to upgrade my GO720   

Postby tendriver » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:12 pm

Gweedz wrote:I'm going to play around with it a bit more and either way I'll let you know how it goes

We will be looking for your update.

Are you aware that TT USA & C safety (speed) cams are free?
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Gweedz » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:21 pm

tendriver wrote:We will be looking for your update.

Are you aware that TT USA & C safety (speed) cams are free?

I'll keep you updated.
Playing with Home I saw that, and already downloaded them :) Also downloaded bunch of cutom POIs. Still running good - I guess now is a good tmie to do a complete Explorer backup :)
Gweedz offline

Postby Gweedz » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:20 pm

UPDATE: The map and navcore update was a success. Pressed a lot of buttons on unit and TT Home and had no funny responses or crashes.
So once again a big thank you to tendriver and Downunder for their immense assistance.

Now... I have other issues that I'm not sure if I should mention here, or begin a new thread. But here goes...
I used it this morning for my commute and it did the following strange stuff:

1. I noticed 3 times the display would show correctly, but the voice would say to turn in the opposite direction (ex: left instead of right).
2. I imagine the little blue circle with the white triangle at the bottom left corner is the compass. If so, it displays east and west reverse (N & S are OK).
3. I was on the highway approaching my exit, all info on display was correct, except it was showing I need to turn off at street "X", which was actually the previous exit about 2km back. Once I turned off the highway it displayed the correct name.

Other observations (not as important at the above 3):
I was impressed with the speed limit warnings. Not perfect but more accurate than expected.
Bluetooth seems to be able to hold a pairing with my phone, unlike before it would disconnect after a couple minutes.
2D/3D button is kinda useless for me. I don't change that often.
Couldn't find an easy way to adjust volume while it's driving to a destination. Had to go in the menu (unlike before I would click on bottom/left of screen).
I usually run in 2D with destination on top of screen (not north), and even while on a perfectly straight road the display would show my heading change about +/- 10 degrees, as if the road is zig-zag. Weather is clear with no tall buildings in sight, so I'm sure I have good sat reception (no heated windscreen either).

Those are my observations so far after a 40 minute drive. I'm sure I'll have more to say after a couple of days. :)
Gweedz offline

Postby tendriver » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:07 pm

Gweedz wrote:UPDATE: The map and navcore update was a success. Pressed a lot of buttons on unit and TT Home and had no funny responses or crashes.
So once again a big thank you to tendriver and Downunder for their immense assistance.

Now... I have other issues that I'm not sure if I should mention here, or begin a new thread. But here goes...
I used it this morning for my commute and it did the following strange stuff:

1. I noticed 3 times the display would show correctly, but the voice would say to turn in the opposite direction (ex: left instead of right).
2. I imagine the little blue circle with the white triangle at the bottom left corner is the compass. If so, it displays east and west reverse (N & S are OK).
3. I was on the highway approaching my exit, all info on display was correct, except it was showing I need to turn off at street "X", which was actually the previous exit about 2km back. Once I turned off the highway it displayed the correct name.

Other observations (not as important at the above 3):
4. I was impressed with the speed limit warnings. Not perfect but more accurate than expected.
5. Bluetooth seems to be able to hold a pairing with my phone, unlike before it would disconnect after a couple minutes.
6. 2D/3D button is kinda useless for me. I don't change that often.
7. Couldn't find an easy way to adjust volume while it's driving to a destination. Had to go in the menu (unlike before I would click on bottom/left of screen).
8. I usually run in 2D with destination on top of screen (not north), and even while on a perfectly straight road the display would show my heading change about +/- 10 degrees, as if the road is zig-zag. Weather is clear with no tall buildings in sight, so I'm sure I have good sat reception (no heated windscreen either).

9.Those are my observations so far after a 40 minute drive. I'm sure I'll have more to say after a couple of days. :)

1. This is a new issue for me. What voice are you using?
2. LOL. It always points NORTH, no other direction.
3. Route structure, including exits, is based on your Main Menu, Planning Preferences setup.
4. OK.
5. OK.
6. The button only acts as a 2D/3D selector when no route is planned. With a route planned, it displays the distance to & direction of the next turn.
7. Left click the lower left blue button to adjust the volume.
8. I NEVER use 2D, always 3D.
9. Typical observations from a noob.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Gweedz » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:12 pm

tendriver wrote:1. This is a new issue for me. What voice are you using?
2. LOL. It always points NORTH, no other direction.
3. Route structure, including exits, is based on your Main Menu, Planning Preferences setup.
4. OK.
5. OK.
6. The button only acts as a 2D/3D selector when no route is planned. With a route planned, it displays the distance to & direction of the next turn.
7. Left click the lower left blue button to adjust the volume.
8. I NEVER use 2D, always 3D.
9. Typical observations from a noob.

1. Susan. Then I changed to some otehr US Female voice (non-computer) and it seems this one knows her lefts and rights, but she says everything in miles and yards, even though I have it set to metric and the display shows metric. Not a big issue for me since I prefer to just mute the voice.
2. OK. Let's pretend I never asked this question :)
3. I didn't find any settings related to my issue. I see no reason to display a street name that you passed 2 km ago as the name for the next exit. Once exiting it shows the correct name, so it's not confused about the street, only the exit. So far it only happened at that one exit, so I'll just monitor this to see if it happens again somewhere else.
6. You're correct. It still acts as a 2D/3D selector even with a route planned, but that's not a bad thing.
7. See my point 10
8. This happens in both 2D and 3D, but I figured out why. When traveling below a certain speed (say 30km/hr) and passing an intersection with islands (the concrete curbs in the middle of the road where the light poles are), the map shows the road curving around these islands (even though in reality the lanes are perfectly straight). So it shows as if the vehicle is steering around the islands. Above certain speeds the map zooms out and doesn't show these details.
9. Noob to TT, not to GPS. :)
10. To adjust volume I can click on the box showing speed. That's OK, but not OK is my quick menu button doesn't work. When I click on the arrow it opens up the volume control, then I click anywhere on the screen and it opens up the main menu. I deleted all items from the quick menu and re-selected some items and same thing. Even if I select only 1 item (in which case it shows the items icon, and not the arrow), it still opens up the volume then main menu.
11. How do I cancel a planned route, and just show the map? Sometimes I like to wander aimlessly and don't like being told where to go. :)
Gweedz offline

Postby tendriver » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:21 pm

Gweedz wrote:1. Susan. Then I changed to some otehr US Female voice (non-computer) and it seems this one knows her lefts and rights, but she says everything in miles and yards, even though I have it set to metric and the display shows metric. Not a big issue for me since I prefer to just mute the voice.
2. OK. Let's pretend I never asked this question.
3. I didn't find any settings related to my issue. I see no reason to display a street name that you passed 2 km ago as the name for the next exit. Once exiting it shows the correct name, so it's not confused about the street, only the exit. So far it only happened at that one exit, so I'll just monitor this to see if it happens again somewhere else.
6. You're correct. It still acts as a 2D/3D selector even with a route planned, but that's not a bad thing.
7. See my point 10
8. This happens in both 2D and 3D, but I figured out why. When traveling below a certain speed (say 30km/hr) and passing an intersection with islands (the concrete curbs in the middle of the road where the light poles are), the map shows the road curving around these islands (even though in reality the lanes are perfectly straight). So it shows as if the vehicle is steering around the islands. Above certain speeds the map zooms out and doesn't show these details.
9. Noob to TT, not to GPS. :)
10. To adjust volume I can click on the box showing speed. That's OK, but not OK is my quick menu button doesn't work. When I click on the arrow it opens up the volume control, then I click anywhere on the screen and it opens up the main menu. I deleted all items from the quick menu and re-selected some items and same thing. Even if I select only 1 item (in which case it shows the items icon, and not the arrow), it still opens up the volume then main menu.
11. How do I cancel a planned route, and just show the map? Sometimes I like to wander aimlessly and don't like being told where to go. :)

FYI, I have the same unit, same navcore & same map as you but none of the issues that you have.

1. I can not duplicate this issue
2. Good idea.
3. There are no specific settings related to your issue. Route structure, including exits, is affected by your selection of: Fastest route (with IQ active), Eco route or Shortest route.
6. I can not duplicate this issue.
7. I don't have a volume control option in Quick menu preferences. Why would you want a quick menu for volume when you can click the "speed box" or use Voice Command?
8. OK.
9. LOL!!
10. See point 7.
11. Main Menu, Browse map.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Gweedz » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:07 pm

tendriver wrote:1. I can not duplicate this issue.
3. There are no specific settings related to your issue. Route structure, including exits, is affected by your selection of: Fastest route (with IQ active), Eco route or Shortest route.
6. I can not duplicate this issue.
7. I don't have a volume control option in Quick menu preferences. Why would you want a quick menu for volume when you can click the "speed box" or use Voice Command?
11. Main Menu, Browse map.

1. Maybe I'll take a video so you don't think I'm nuts. LOL But only if I can do it safely.
3. I'll try different settings. If that doesn't help is it possible I give you 2 addresses and you input in yours then simulate the route and see if it does the same thing? As mentioned, regardless of the settings I see no reason for it to show the next exit as X when X was passed 2 km ago.
6. Another video?
7. I don't have a volume control in my quick menu either. The problem is my quick menu doesn't work. When I press it, it opens the volume control slidebar at the bottom of the screen. When I tap the screen anywhere it then opens the main menu. I can't open my quick menu (but in the settings it does show the check boxes of what's supposed to be in there). Maybe another video is required?
11. Thank you! I was looking for a cancel button as on my Navigon.

Just to be clear, it sounds like I'm complaining, which is not the case as this setup is lightyears ahead of what I was previously using. So I am happy even if none of these issued get resolved. I only mention them in case;
A. There are quick answers which will make my life a tiny bit easier (like item 11).
B. These minor inconveniences could point to a larger issue I'm not aware of.

Knowing that you have the same setup with none of these issues leads me to believe I screwed something up during the install. I moved around a lot of files, and it's quite possible I messed something up. Once day when I'm bored and have time I may attempt a re-install from scratch.
Gweedz offline

Postby tendriver » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:28 pm

Gweedz wrote:1. Maybe I'll take a video so you don't think I'm nuts. LOL But only if I can do it safely.
3. I'll try different settings. If that doesn't help is it possible I give you 2 addresses and you input in yours then simulate the route and see if it does the same thing? As mentioned, regardless of the settings I see no reason for it to show the next exit as X when X was passed 2 km ago.
6. Another video?
7. I don't have a volume control in my quick menu either. The problem is my quick menu doesn't work. When I press it, it opens the volume control slidebar at the bottom of the screen. When I tap the screen anywhere it then opens the main menu. I can't open my quick menu (but in the settings it does show the check boxes of what's supposed to be in there). Maybe another video is required?
11. Thank you! I was looking for a cancel button as on my Navigon.

Just to be clear, it sounds like I'm complaining, which is not the case as this setup is lightyears ahead of what I was previously using. So I am happy even if none of these issued get resolved. I only mention them in case;
A. There are quick answers which will make my life a tiny bit easier (like item 11).
B. These minor inconveniences could point to a larger issue I'm not aware of.

Knowing that you have the same setup with none of these issues leads me to believe I screwed something up during the install. I moved around a lot of files, and it's quite possible I messed something up. Once day when I'm bored and have time I may attempt a re-install from scratch.

1. I believe you.
3. I misread this issue in your earlier posts. I'm with you now. Putting your addresses into my unit is not a problem. I've done it many times.
6. Screen shots would work just as well.
7. Video not necessary.
11. You are Welcome.

Just to be clear, I don't think you are complaining.

Rather than take time to do videos, use the time to do a reinstall. Take everything off of the internal. Let TT Home re-install 9.430. Install the 2 files sent earlier. Load in a fresh copy of your map & patch it. Disconnect & reboot. If this solves some of your issues, then add in your extras. This whole procedure takes about 30 minutes.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Gweedz » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:45 pm

tendriver wrote:Rather than take time to do videos, use the time to do a reinstall. Take everything off of the internal. Let TT Home re-install 9.430. Install the 2 files sent earlier. Load in a fresh copy of your map & patch it. Disconnect & reboot. If this solves some of your issues, then add in your extras. This whole procedure takes about 30 minutes.

OK I'll do this.
When you say "take everything off internal" can I just format the drive?
Gweedz offline

Postby tendriver » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:13 pm

Gweedz wrote:OK I'll do this.
When you say "take everything off internal" can I just format the drive?

NO!! NEVER format a drive except in a most severe case.

Either move everything or cut & paste it. You're choice.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Gweedz » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:38 pm

Gotcha! I will delete all files, including hidden. I already made a backup.

Just curious - why never format?
Gweedz offline

Postby tendriver » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:45 pm

Gweedz wrote:Gotcha! I will delete all files, including hidden. I already made a backup.

Just curious - why never format?

There is a debate about whether it will cause damage or not. If the yes side is correct, then we are OK. If the no side is correct, then no harm done.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Downunder35m » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:10 am

I try to explain the format problem as I had to learn about it some time ago:
A SD card (or any other flash memory for that matter) is not like a hard drive.
You format your hard drive to get all the sector assignments and other physical data correct.
This is not neccessary for a SD as all this is done by the intergated controller on the chip.
So what is a FAT table on a hard drive is only a "pointer table" on a SD.
It does not matter as you want it in FAT, NTFS or EXFAT a format won't change that it only changes how the SD memory appears in your Explorer (and of course makes it compatible if you in fact do need a Linux SD).
During a Quick format those infos in the FAT table are deleted while the actual data remains untouched on the drive.
Same happens with a SD during a quick format : only the pointers are deleted.

Up to here ther s no real damage possible with only a quick format, but if you do a complete format the story is different:
In this case not only the tables are erase, but also the data itself.
Also the assignments for the sector sizes and other things are changed if different to before.
All SD's come formatted in the right and optimum settings for normal use.
Windows is not capable of handling good format for a SD as the internal details for the controller are not checked and all is optimised for a hard drive.
Tools like the formatter form SDCARD.ORG won't give you options to change things as they format in the way the manufacturer planned.
Even with lifetime warranties from some manufacturers it should be clear that every write acces (and there are a lot of them during a real format) shortens the lifespan of a SD.
In the old days you got about 100.000 cycles now most claim to give a million cycles.
With that in mind think about the fact that you can not force data into a choosen part of the SD.
So you never know which parts are getting close to the lifetime.
Another tink to point out is the simple fact that some controllers can't really handle other filesystems.
Those controller store the data received during a format to "translate" the content of the SD to what the user formatted.
This will of course slow down all access as everything needs to be "emulated" by a tiny chip that usually only handles some pointers.

So for all flash memory a normal delete is sufficient and only in cases of damaged sectors or the real need to change the filesystem they should be formatted - but if possible not with the onboard Windows tools.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby tendriver » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:32 am

Very well said, even though the discussion was/is about formatting a hard drive, not a SD card. Thanx.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Gweedz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:22 pm

Great explanation - I learned a lot. I guess when cameras give the "format card" option in the menu it really only deletes the pointer table. And would also explain why my DSLR manual says it's best to format the card in the camera, and not the computer.
tendrive, I imagine the "hard drive" in our units is more akin to a sd card, than an actual HDD.
Gweedz offline

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions about TomTom