Please tell me if I'm on the right path to upgrade my GO720   

Please tell me if I'm on the right path to upgrade my GO720

Postby Gweedz » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:26 am

I've been reading for a couple days and think I have the basics so I bought a used GO720.

Here is my current system (using TTCurrentConfig):
TTGO.BIF:
DeviceName=TomTom GO 720
DeviceVersionHW=GO 720
BootLoaderVersion=10012
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=9430
ApplicationVersion=890926.1
CurrentMap=North_America_2GB
CurrentMapVersion=705.1481
TTGO.BAK:
Not Found...
TTGO.ORI:
Not Found...
TTNAVIGATOR.BIF:
Not Found...

I used TT Home to upgrade from 8.351 to 9.430 (I hope that wasn't a mistake - do any other versions offer better features?). I did an Explorer backup when it was at 8.351.

Not sure which map (USA & Canada) I should get as the 885 compatability chart doesn't show 9.430 (it ends at 9.2xx).

If any of the 885 maps will work, I believe I need the 2GB 885.4087 right? I basically want as many features as possible.

My understanding is once I download the map I delete my existing map folder, replace it with the downloaded one, then run FA 1.8 program, then shutdown and reboot the GPS. Did I miss anything?

Thank you in advance!
Gweedz offline

Postby Downunder35m » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:54 am

The 4087 will give you all features and is compatible, don't worry about the missing 9.4xx in the chart.
You steps are correct, use FA Premium and press the the first 3 buttons, starting from the left.
You want this map for USA & Canada :
North_America
[b]North_America_885_4087
[1758MB]OR
[b]North_America_885_4087 with Automatic Installer & Patcher
; North_America 885_4087
B3 70 3D 99 CF CD 08 57 1B BA 72 3B 92 21 6B D7 North_America-512.meta
[/b][/b]
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby tendriver » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:04 pm

Gweedz wrote:My understanding is once I download the map I delete my existing map folder, replace it with the downloaded one, then run FA 1.8 program, then shutdown and reboot the GPS. Did I miss anything?

Download & copy the 2 files in this .rar into your 720, overwriting the existing ttsystem file & adding a model.txt file. You now only need to click the 1st 2 buttons left to right, when you run FA 1.8.8.5.

Click here: [Please Register or Login to download file]
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Gweedz » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:38 pm

Thank you both for the helpful information. Now that I understand HOW to do it, please help me understand WHY so hopefully one day I can help someone else.

For example, after installing just the map (first link), I understand FA Premium will modify (patch) both the map and Navcore so they work together?

If I download from the second link (map with installer and patcher), does that mean it already comes with FA (which I already have)? And what does the installer do besides putting everything in the correct place?

What do I do with the hex codes.meta numbers posted under the links?

What is the purpose of running SE 9.430 ttsystem? Isn't it easier to just click the 3 buttong downunder mentions insead of copying these files then clicking only 2 buttons? Or does it have other advantages?

Thanks again for all your patience - I read hundreds of posts from you guys and each one was extremely helpful.
Gweedz offline

Postby tendriver » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:58 pm

Gweedz wrote:Thank you both for the helpful information. Now that I understand HOW to do it, please help me understand WHY so hopefully one day I can help someone else.

1. For example, after installing just the map (first link), I understand FA Premium will modify (patch) both the map and Navcore so they work together?

2. If I download from the second link (map with installer and patcher), does that mean it already comes with FA (which I already have)? And what does the installer do besides putting everything in the correct place?

3. What do I do with the hex codes.meta numbers posted under the links?

4. What is the purpose of running SE 9.430 ttsystem? Isn't it easier to just click the 3 buttong downunder mentions insead of copying these files then clicking only 2 buttons? Or does it have other advantages?

5. Thanks again for all your patience - I read hundreds of posts from you guys and each one was extremely helpful.

1. You are correct. Patching a map requires patching the navcore. A patched navcore will run any compatible patched map.
2. Correct again. It does nothing more than that.
3. Nothing. They are required to patch the map & are included in the patcher.
4. Clicking the 3rd button will only patch your 9.430 navcore ttsystem file so it will see a patched map. The 2 files will give your 720 the look & feel of a GO 750/950, with added features. If you don't like the new look, just delete the model.txt file.
5. Thanx for the positive comment.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Gweedz » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:45 pm

Thanks again! SE 9.430 sounds interesting.

Any comments on maps 885-4088 and 885.4093? I can get these easily from a torrent, but I've been trying all day to get 885.4087 from the above links and I have yet to connect to even begin downloading one part.
Gweedz offline

Postby tendriver » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:04 pm

Gweedz wrote:Thanks again! SE 9.430 sounds interesting.

1. Any comments on maps 885-4088 and 885.4093?
2. I can get these easily from a torrent, but I've been trying all day to get 885.4087 from the above links and I have yet to connect to even begin downloading one part.

1. 4088 is half featured & 4093 has ZERO features. You want North America 885.4087, as Downunder stated in post 2.
2. OK, but keep in mind, that we don't support maps downloaded from elsewhere!!!
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Gweedz » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:57 am

OK I'll stick with the file recommended by downunder for the reasons you mentioned.

Once I'm all up an running, can I still use TT Home, or will it undo everything I'm trying to accomplish here?
Gweedz offline

Postby Downunder35m » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:06 am

You only need Home for QuickFix and Mapshare,both will do just fine.
If for some reason you still need the simulaion you have to patch the Home DLL, which will be downloaded and installed after you first try the simulation.
Forum rules

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby Gweedz » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:32 am

1. I finished downloading 885.4087 from the link by downunder.
2. I deleted everything from my North_America_2GB folder.
3. After extracting, I copy/pasted everything from the downloaded folder to the empty North_America_2GB folder. All on internal memory. I received an "out of space" error with 5 files remaining - 225MB remaining.

4. Is there some stuff I can delete from some other folder? For example, I don't need fancy voices or different car types. At the moment I don't have a spare 2GB SD card. Maybe a 1GB or 512MB.

5. Also, should the map folder in my TT be called North_America_2GB or do I use the North_America_885_4087 name from the downloaded file?

6. To get around the not enough space issue (for now) I used my original POI file which was much smaller than the new one.

Unit appears to be working fine because I now have IQ routes (I didn't before). I also copied the 2 files from SE 9.430 ttsystem.

Here's what I have:

TTGO.BIF:
DeviceName=TomTom GO 720
DeviceVersionHW=GO 720
BootLoaderVersion=55120
CurrentMapVersion=885.4087

7. So, assuming everything is working fine... what can I do about installing the new larger POI file? And maybe even a speedcam file.

Oops... I pressed the "manage POI's" icon on my unit and it froze. I'll wait for the experts to reply before I do more damage LOL
Gweedz offline

Postby Downunder35m » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:38 am

Why don't you invest 5bucks and get a SD? ;)
Forum rules

Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby tendriver » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:46 am

Gweedz wrote:1. I finished downloading 885.4087 from the link by downunder.
2. I deleted everything from my North_America_2GB folder.
3. After extracting, I copy/pasted everything from the downloaded folder to the empty North_America_2GB folder. All on internal memory. I received an "out of space" error with 5 files remaining - 225MB remaining.

4. Is there some stuff I can delete from some other folder? For example, I don't need fancy voices or different car types. At the moment I don't have a spare 2GB SD card. Maybe a 1GB or 512MB.

5. Also, should the map folder in my TT be called North_America_2GB or do I use the North_America_885_4087 name from the downloaded file?

6. To get around the not enough space issue (for now) I used my original POI file which was much smaller than the new one.

Unit appears to be working fine because I now have IQ routes (I didn't before). I also copied the 2 files from SE 9.430 ttsystem.

Here's what I have:

TTGO.BIF:
DeviceName=TomTom GO 720
DeviceVersionHW=GO 720
BootLoaderVersion=55120

7. So, assuming everything is working fine... what can I do about installing the new larger POI file? And maybe even a speedcam file.

Oops... I pressed the "manage POI's" icon on my unit and it froze. I'll wait for the experts to reply before I do more damage LOL

1. Actually, according to your ttgo.bif, it appears you downloaded the 2GB version, not the full version that Downunder recommended.
2. BAD Move!! Correct way is to remove the old map folder, & copy in the new map folder.
3. Same comment as point 2!!
4. This is hard to answer without knowing what is on your internal besides the basic navcore & map.
5. The map folder can be named anything & is irrelevant.
6. This is creative, but not the best idea.
7. I would look for files & folders on the internal that could be moved to 1 of your cards to make room for the full poi file in the map folder.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Gweedz » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:28 pm

tendriver wrote:1. Actually, according to your ttgo.bif, it appears you downloaded the 2GB version, not the full version that Downunder recommended.
2. BAD Move!! Correct way is to remove the old map folder, & copy in the new map folder.
3. Same comment as point 2!!
4. This is hard to answer without knowing what is on your internal besides the basic navcore & map.
5. The map folder can be named anything & is irrelevant.
6. This is creative, but not the best idea.
7. I would look for files & folders on the internal that could be moved to 1 of your cards to make room for the full poi file in the map folder.

1. I assure you I downloaded the files from the first link Downunder posted (I assumed the second link was idential, but included FA, which I already had).
Should I re-download everything from the second link? I see the rar file sizes are almost identical (7 files 200MB + 1 file about 175MB).
2. What if I delete the folder and copy over the new downloaded one? Or is it no so simple anymore?
3. OK.
4. No photos, mp3s or any other "extras" besides my bluetooth phone book of about 25 entries. I have no problems starting from scratch if that's what it'll take.
5. OK.
6. This was temporary just to see if it would work.
7. Can any files/folders be moved to the card, and the unit would be smart enough to look there for it?
8. If all it takes is moving the map folder to an external card I'd happily do that, but I get the impression that since I don't have the "full version" that I'm missing something.
9. May or may not be related, but when I connect to TT Home I get the following error. Afterwards I tried patching with the 4th button (FA premium)) and it didn't help.
10. Have I used up all your patience yet? (After all the reading I did I actually thought I could pull this off without a hitch LOL).

Gweedz offline

Postby tendriver » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:07 pm

Gweedz wrote:1. I assure you I downloaded the files from the first link Downunder posted
a. (I assumed the second link was idential, but included FA, which I already had).
b. Should I re-download everything from the second link? I see the rar file sizes are almost identical (7 files 200MB + 1 file about 175MB).
2. What if I delete the folder and copy over the new downloaded one? Or is it no so simple anymore?
3. OK.
4. No photos, mp3s or any other "extras" besides my bluetooth phone book of about 25 entries. I have no problems starting from scratch if that's what it'll take.
5. OK.
6. This was temporary just to see if it would work.
7. Can any files/folders be moved to the card, and the unit would be smart enough to look there for it?
8. If all it takes is moving the map folder to an external card I'd happily do that, but I get the impression that since I don't have the "full version" that I'm missing something.
9. May or may not be related, but when I connect to TT Home I get the following error. Afterwards I tried patching with the 4th button (FA premium)) and it didn't help.
10. Have I used up all your patience yet? (After all the reading I did I actually thought I could pull this off without a hitch LOL).

1. OK, the comment was based on your ttgo.bif data.
a. You are correct.
b. Not necessary.
2. Not necessary.
3. OK
4. Take a screen shot of your internal & post it, or if you rather, upload it & PM me the link.
5. OK
6. OK
7. See point 4.
8. Hold off till I see the screen shot. You do have the full version.
9. Table this for now.
10. Not hardly!! LOL!!
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Gweedz » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:24 pm

Wow, I didn't think you'd reply this soon - so I was experimenting and so far it's working good, even TT Home.

Even with the error TT Home would still let me do minimal things, including using the "manage my Go" function. I saw I had some voices that were over 40MB, and had a warrning "cannot use this voice with this versions software" (or something like that). So I deleted them and it gave me enough room for the new POI.

I deleted the existing map folder and pasted the new map folder, and this time it all fit. Rebooted my TT and got the "no map" error, then I remembered I didn't run FA. So I ran it (first 2 buttons only). Rebooted and the error went away. I assume SE 9.430 was still installed from last time. Connected to PC and TT Home started up with no error. My basic knowledge is telling me the old POI file was causing issues with the newer map.

TTConfig did give me something different this time:

TTGO.BIF:
DeviceName=TomTom GO 720
DeviceVersionHW=GO 720
BootLoaderVersion=55120
CurrentMap=North_America_885_4087
TTGO.BAK:
Not Found...
TTGO.ORI:
Not Found...
TTNAVIGATOR.BIF:
Not Found...

I'm going to play around with it a bit more and either way I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again for your amazing help - I wish I could buy you a beer! LOL
Gweedz offline

Next

Return to General Discussions about TomTom