POI icons for TomTom   

POI icons for TomTom

Postby chas521 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:36 pm

While updating my TT GO 720, I ran across these icon sets of real names that put the actual name of the POI instead of just a generic title. In each download, you will see .bmp files for each name. Simply copy the .bmp file to the map folder. Go back to the .bmp download and rename the extension ONLY to .ov2. Now copy the .ov2 file to the map folder as well. That's it. You can go to the main menu, change preferences, show icon on map to see them in the library. Should work for all TT devices.
Example only:
BurgerKing.bmp
BurgerKing.ov2

This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
for Europe and others
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
for US

Press reload or refresh after pressing thanks.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby tendriver » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:10 pm

If the blue rectangular button is the correct download button, it goes nowhere in both links.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby chas521 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:18 pm

tendriver wrote:If the blue rectangular button is the correct download button, it goes nowhere in both links.

I just did and it worked fine for me. Press "download now" and then save to file and you should be good to go. Anyone else having problems downloading?

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby tendriver » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:50 pm

My computer was blocking an ActiveX on the site. I unblocked it & downloaded the .zip file with no problem.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby tendriver » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:52 pm

chas521 wrote:Go back to the .bmp download and rename the extension ONLY to .ov2.

I must be missing something. You can't change a file with a .bmp extension to a file with a .ov2 extention!! Also most of the Brand name chains already have their own icon!!
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby chas521 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:13 pm

tendriver wrote:I must be missing something. You can't change a file with a .bmp extension to a file with a .ov2 extention!! Also most of the Brand name chains already have their own icon!!

The .bmp file was converted from a Garmin .bmp to a TT .bmp. As for changing the extension, it worked for me so I assume it will work for all. I now have 4 name icons in my library in my TT program. Try it. If it doesn't work, you can always delete it.

Members who have tried this, please post your results and did my instructions work for you? Thanks.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby tendriver » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:21 pm

chas521 wrote:The .bmp file was converted from a Garmin .bmp to a TT .bmp. As for changing the extension, it worked for me so I assume it will work for all. I now have 4 name icons in my library in my TT program. Try it. If it doesn't work, you can always delete it.
Members who have tried this, please post your results and did my instructions work for you? Thanks.

A .bmp file is an image file. Whether it is on a Garmin or a TT makes no difference, they are all the same & no converting is necessary. A .ov2 file is a TT POI data file. You can not convert a .bmp image file to a .ov2 POI data file by changing the extention from .bmp to .ov2!!! Garmin uses .csv POI data files. You can convert .csv files to .ov2 files or vice versa.
What are the 4 name icons in your library??
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby chas521 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:58 pm

I'm not gonna argue my point here because I'm sure that you're right. All I know is that four name icons are now in my library [in the map file]. It worked and I took the checkmarks out of the other categories so that they don't appear on my map. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

7_Eleven
Citibank
McDonalds
Burger King

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby tendriver » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:25 am

chas521 wrote:All I know is that four name icons are now in my library [in the map file].

I copied the 4 named .bmp icons into my map folder. I changed the extention on another set of the same 4 named .bmp icons from .bmp to .ov2 & copied them to my map folder. Yes, the named icons show up in the "library" [in the map file], & yes, you can check them. However, the 4 named icons do not show up on the "Show POI on map" feature, & you can not navigate to them. REASON: There is not a valid .ov2 data file associated with these 4 named icons .bmp image files.

I have attached a 7_Eleven.ov2 rar file. Unzip it & replace your created 7_E.ov2 file with it, & your 7_E.bmp icon will work. 1 caveat: make sure that "7_Eleven or 7-Eleven" is exactly the same for the .bmp & .ov2 files.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby chas521 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:04 pm

tendriver wrote:I copied the 4 named .bmp icons into my map folder. I changed the extention on another set of the same 4 named .bmp icons from .bmp to .ov2 & copied them to my map folder. Yes, the named icons show up in the "library" [in the map file], & yes, you can check them. However, the 4 named icons do not show up on the "Show POI on map" feature, & you can not navigate to them. REASON: There is not a valid .ov2 data file associated with these 4 named icons .bmp image files.

I have attached a 7_Eleven.ov2 rar file. Unzip it & replace the your created 7_E.ov2 file with it, & your 7_E.bmp icon will work. 1 caveat: make sure that "7_Eleven or 7-Eleven" is exactly the same for the .bmp & .ov2 files.

Thanks for the information TD. Where are the attached ov2 files for me to download and replace? I can't find them.

EDIT: How did you create the ov2 files in case I want to do it myself?

[color="#FF0000"]Thanks anyway TD but I figured it out! Very easy to do. Yes, you're correct about the ov2 file. Now I have the locations as well.[/color]

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby tendriver » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:36 pm

chas521 wrote:Where are the attached ov2 files for me to download and replace? I can't find them.

In post 9!!
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby chas521 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:00 pm

To add individual name POIs, go to POI Factory, download the .ov2 file & .bmp file for the desired POIs. Copy both files into your map folder & set the alerts for them.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to General Discussions about TomTom