POLL : Do you have newsgroup access?   

Do you have newsgroup access

Total votes : 0

POLL : Do you have newsgroup access?

Postby w1dow » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:48 pm

just like to know how many have newsgroup access and would be interested in having the option to download the maps from there via NZB files.

If there were to be enough people interested in having this option and the mods are happy to have this option for people then i would like to find a way of doing this. Obviously i would initially need some help in doing this as there are a lot of maps so would probably setup a ftp for people to upload them to me so i can then upload to newsgroups and post the NZB files here for people to use.

If you think its a silly idea or not many people interested then point taken lol
w1dow offline

Postby w1dow » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:44 pm

see post #223 here
I have already uploaded some maps to the newsgroups as i paid for 24hrs access to the filehosting site that the maps are hosted on so thought i'd share what i paid for :)
w1dow offline

Postby w1dow » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:19 pm

come on guys need more people to vote :)
w1dow offline

Postby Downunder35m » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:01 pm

I don't see the point in this poll, especially if you obviously have not thought the thing through to the end.

1. I don't think too many users have newsgroups or are at least remotely interest in them
2. If you want to provide map llinks than YOU! have to upload and maintain them - not open a FTP connection so everyone can upload
3. We have quality control here and maps uploaded like that will not be accepted for genral use and get no support - at least no from me.

The whole topic was discussed to a point where it makes me sick seing the same question every few weeks.
We are happy if users provide mirrors for rare files or for maps that a in need, but it needs to be done the right way ;)
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby dieselman » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:03 am

it might take me a week on and off to download a large map but the thrill is in the chase as they say. when i've got my map for free from the free filehosts and got it uploaded to my device and working i feel a great sense of achievment and satisfaction. have never heard of newsgroups and wont be going out of my way to do any research am happy just the way things are.
dieselman offline

Postby tendriver » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:06 am

w1dow wrote:If there were to be enough people interested in having this option and the mods are happy to have this option for people then i would like to find a way of doing this. Obviously i would initially need some help in doing this as there are a lot of maps so would probably setup a ftp for people to upload them to me so i can then upload to newsgroups and post the NZB files here for people to use.

Downunder35m wrote:2. If you want to provide map llinks than YOU! have to upload and maintain them - not open a FTP connection so everyone can upload

My apologies!! I will take the blame for this. w1dow & I discussed this in the All New Maps 890.XXXX & 891.XXXX thread posts 221 thru 225. He didn't mention starting a POLL thread or needing upload help. If he had, I would have stopped it then. Obviously I didn't do a very good job of following up either!!
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby w1dow » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:11 pm

sorry my bad ,the ftp was only an idea... considered it scraped.
well as far as the poll goes its 50/50 so far but obviously need many more votes to get a better picture. all I'm saying is letting people have a choice, if they have ng access then they can use it.
if all I'm going to get is flamed for suggesting such an idea then I won't bother.
appologies tendriver I should have explained I was going to start this poll.
w1dow offline

Postby Downunder35m » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:40 pm

Well, that is done now, an as I said many times: we like users providing mirrors or alternative downloads - however, there is a catch:
Our uploaders and the team make sure that our links stay online as long as they are needed, a user posting a download link that dies must make sure it goes back online.
For that to work a regular check in the forum or at least at the hoster is necessary.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby w1dow » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:27 pm

newshosting isn't quite the same ,you don't get broken links, files do not get removed all depends on your news provider, it's done on retention, most providers now have 100 + days retention on binaries some a lot more like mine 600 days.
I would make sure they are kept up to date and check back on forum. I would just like to help ppl thats all.
w1dow offline

Postby multipazz » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:16 pm

i think you will find most of the premium services have over 1000 days retention some now almost 1500 days

great place to find old stuff...
multipazz offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby w1dow » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:07 am

yeh my mistake lol checked mine and I have 1500 retention.
w1dow offline

Postby w1dow » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:39 am

meh nobody seems that interested plus admin are not bothered about the idea so thread may as well be closed
w1dow offline

Postby tendriver » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:07 am

Sorry it didn't work out.

THREAD_CLOSED
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Return to General Discussions about TomTom