Tom Tom 910   

Tom Tom 910

Postby daf » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:52 pm

Hi
Every time i connect this tom tom to the computer it just goes to formatting. If i turn it on with connecting to the pc it just stays on a screen with a red cross. I have tried the reset but cannot get the pc to recognize its plugged in at all.

Just straight to formatting in small words on tom tom screen.
Any ideas anyone.
daf offline

Postby tendriver » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:01 pm

Do you get anything when you boot without being hooked to a puter?
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby daf » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:07 pm

It does not go to format when booted on its own, Just goes to the screen with a picture of a tom tom on with a red cross. As soon as i connect to pc it goes to format, even if i connect without restarting it.

I have also tried the hold down the button to get all the text up, that works to half a screen the it says retrieving data, it does retrieve the data then goes back to the screen with red cross on it.

I have tried all ways to connect to pc so i can get it recognized but to no avial.

I was thinking maybe the hard drive has packed up. I had it off a mate he said it just went blank as he was driving then to the red cross. Perhaps he has not told me the full story, That i probably will never know..
daf offline

Postby tendriver » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:44 pm

daf wrote:I was thinking maybe the hard drive has packed up. I had it off a mate he said it just went blank as he was driving then to the red cross. Perhaps he has not told me the full story, That i probably will never know..

Based on what you have described, I would let the format run it's course. If no help, you might consider replacing the 20GB HD.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby daf » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:51 pm

Its run its course many times now..Still the same. Off to search for a hard drive then.
Thanks for your help.
daf offline

Postby tendriver » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:38 pm

daf wrote:Its run its course many times now..Still the same. Off to search for a hard drive then.
Thanks for your help.

You are Welcome. Keep us posted.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Downunder35m » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:29 am

I would not go for a HDD, check a ZIFF-CF adaptor with CF card ;)
Just check Ebay for "CF adapter" and choose the cheapest that will fit the connector for the HDD on your TT.
A fast 8GB CF will give you loading speeds you've never seen on your HDD ;)
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby daf » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:11 pm

Cheers i will have a look, Are they hard to fit ?
daf offline

Postby Downunder35m » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:33 am

Very!!
Open the TT, unplug the the Hdd, plug adapter in, insert CF card....
Sometimes they use sticky tape for the HDD though making it much harder as you need to remove it to get the Hdd out ;)
But be aware that you should use one of my X10 Navcore or check if any of the current V9 NC's works with no problems.
Not every Navcore like CF cards for some weird reason, but this is easy to fix.
Forum rules

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby daf » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:43 am

Could i be able to run it with truck software and 839 nc when fitted, thats the ultimate gain, if not i would need the best europe maps it would run and of course the most suitable navcore.

Thanks for your help so far
daf offline

Postby tendriver » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:14 am

daf wrote:Could i be able to run it with truck software and 839 nc when fitted, thats the ultimate gain, if not i would need the best europe maps it would run and of course the most suitable navcore.

Thanks for your help so far

Yes. The Truck navcores & maps are no different than other navcores & maps. If there was a compatibility problem, either you would have been warned, or a replacement never would have been suggested!!
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby daf » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:59 pm

Update on this 910.

I have taken the sd card out of a butchered 710 and fitted it to the 910.

All working although i am waiting delivery of some sd cards to put the proper maps on it, Only a 2 gb card i have to try it out.
As i had a butchered 710 it means i can use the casing of the 710 so you can access the sd card instead of it being hidden by the 910 case.

Happy days.
daf offline

Postby tendriver » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:00 am

daf wrote:I have taken the sd card out of a butchered 710 and fitted it to the 910.

You know that as soon as a 910 user sees this, he/she is gonna ask, "How did you accomplish this, since a 910 has a 20GB HD?". You might as well post detailed instructions now & avoid the rush later.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Downunder35m » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:40 am

If there is a card in it, it can only be a CF with adapter.
But I still have no idea what exactly daf is trying to accomplish :(
Forum rules

Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby daf » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:22 am

Earlier in this thread i had come to the conclusion that the hard drive in the 910 had died as all it wanted to do was format itself.

So as i was advised it can be repaired using a cf card and adaptor, this was the way i was going to have a go at the 910 until a friend gave me a broken 710 with a burnt out motherboard and was in bits from where he had been examining it.

So i took the card reader and ribbon cable out of the 710.
I then took apart the 910, carefully, after removing the hard drive, some rubber mountings the hard drive sat in and another piece of rubber that was stuck to the unit under the hard drive it revealed the mounting holes for a card reader the same as a 710. Probably the same chassis as a 710 i suspected.

Took the ribbon cable that was used for the hard drive out and replaced it with the card reader and ribbon cable from the 710.
Srewed it in place, put it back together and switched it on, fingers crossed.

On it come, Patched a card i had to match the unit and happy days. what was a broken 910 in reality is now a 710 but as long as it works who cares, Instead of a 20gb hard drive it will live on with an 8gb sd card.

So i accomplished a dead 910 into a working 710 with an sd card. maybe going backwards to some but going forward to me as a working unit.
daf offline

Next

Return to General Discussions about TomTom