Tom Tom One v8 digitiser recalibration not working   

Tom Tom One v8 digitiser recalibration not working

Postby unrealshots » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:15 am

Hi Folks,

have been lurking for a while, and despite searching, and trying the calib/cal.txt file digitiser recalibration, my Tom Tom One v8 is only responding to the touchscreen on the far right hand side.

I can mount it as a drive via power on / reset / etc, and create the calib.txt and cal.txt, yet the file is not appear to be getting read when I boot into the diagnostics screen

I've spoken with Tom Tom Australia, who suggested I trawl forums to look for a utility they didn't know the name of (duh, thanks!), and have been unable to turn up any of said utilities...

has anyone got any ideas as to what I can do to fix this? I'm rapidly thinking I have a Tom Tom branded moving map...

If I run the Clear Flash Tool will that have ANY impact on the screen calibration? I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do next...

Cheers,

Andrew
unrealshots offline

Postby Downunder35m » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:17 am

Check on Ebay for the digitiser and replace it, they only cost a few bucks.
The calibration was never successful with a broken digitiser and always very complicated.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby biggerdave » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:52 pm

maybe [Please Register or Login to download file] can help?
::thumbup:: S i m p l e s ::thumbup::
biggerdave offline

User avatar V.I.P Member

Postby tendriver » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:09 pm

unrealshots wrote:I can mount it as a drive via power on / reset / etc, and create the calib.txt and cal.txt, yet the file is not appear to be getting read when I boot into the diagnostics screen

biggerdave wrote:maybe [Please Register or Login to download file] can help?

It appears that unrealshots has already tried your link.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby unrealshots » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:35 pm

biggerdave wrote:maybe [Please Register or Login to download file] can help?

yeah, I tried this, however the calibration file doesn't appear to be getting read...

I'm 99.9% sure the digitiser still works, as the device hasn't left the dashboard since I got it 3 years ago, and was working fine up until about a week ago...

I rang Tom Tom Support, who more or less just fobbed me off...
unrealshots offline

Postby tendriver » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:24 pm

unrealshots wrote:I rang Tom Tom Support, who more or less just fobbed me off...

Based on reports from other members, you got the "standard treatment" from TT Support.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby unrealshots » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:02 am

I gave up on it today... for $140 from Harvey Norman, I picked up a TomTom XL250 with 3 years warranty, and the 3 year map guarantee... Although, I think the basic menu is going to **** me - I can't even tell it to power off when I switch off the ignition... Probably going to return it for something with full menus in it
unrealshots offline

Postby tendriver » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:26 pm

unrealshots wrote:Probably going to return it for something with full menus in it

I would avoid any model with a navcore v10 or v11 in it. They can't be cracked.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Downunder35m » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:05 am

And a new digitiser would have been cheaper, even a whole display unit is....
I personally would have tried to get a 530/530/720/730 ;)
Forum rules

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby unrealshots » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:09 am

Downunder35m wrote:And a new digitiser would have been cheaper, even a whole display unit is....

but there's no guarantee that a new digitiser/screen will fix the problem is there?

Harvey Norman took the XL250 back, and I think I have a lead on a OneXL for $50, that the guy wants to get rid of because he didn't want to pay for map updates (and didn't want maps acquired elsewhere) ....

I can't believe how disappointing the XL250 is as a unit... the whole line up is a huge disappointment... One of the guys at work as a 3 month old 1050 Live, that has a stuffed battery, and Tom Tom are fighting against warranty... They're rapidly losing my faith... Their product used to be magnificent, but they are becoming a 2nd tier provider...
unrealshots offline

Postby Downunder35m » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:07 am

Unfortunately that can happen if a company decides to take a new patch with its hardware.
TT has 3 types of GPS systems
1. professional, like the Work series, which is no good for a normal person anyway
2. high end devices for a lot of money
3. beginner devices for a reasonable price

Problem imho is that TT does not care about customer feedback and puts more and more devices on the market that are basically the same in terms of hardware but are crippled by the software (Navcore).
Since NC10 there is the new problem that a user no longer can change the Navcore to something more suitable.
I personally think the NC10 devices are a step back not forward as they still have too many flaws and faults.
Almost looks like TT learned from Microsoft : get the rubbish to the user and let him do the testing, we might fix it later once we made enough money with the non working crap ;)
Forum rules

Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Return to General Discussions about TomTom