TomTom Go 2535TM WTE (World Traveler Edition) help needed   

TomTom Go 2535TM WTE (World Traveler Edition) help needed

Postby rick007 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:18 am

hi, I just purchased TomTom go 2535TM WTE on friday(my TomTom go 720 was stolen from the car) , since I was out friday night i opened it up on Saturday morning.

First, I must say i am disappointed at the screen resolution, with that said, I bought this unit for having lots of feautres and other settings/options which other GPS (Garmin etc) seem to be missing.
Second, I plugged in the GPS to my computer and installed the application that it asked me to, I was surprised to see that this unit gets updated from browser based application rather than good oldTomTom Home app. Another reason to buy this unit was its 8gig of storage space - BUT it doesn't show up in the "My Computer" area as a disk like it use to in older models.
Third, updating the GPS took about almost two hours. Upon reboot after update I decided I will use the Voice command to navigate to an address for testing the voice command. Instead of getting the address prompt i got an error saying "Voice search in not available for this country" WTF... After spending half a day with tech support they agreed the unit is defective and they send me another one after the get this one back.

Unit will go back for replacement tomorrow, but I would like to fool aroung with the new one when it comes in.

My Question: does anyone here has any idea on how to access the disk using windows explorer? and be able to do things like change NAv Cores, MAPS etc.. voices, add pictures and all other fun stuff??

thank you in advance. :-)
rick007 offline

Postby tendriver » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:34 pm

rick007 wrote:My Question: does anyone here has any idea on how to access the disk using windows explorer? and be able to do things like change NAv Cores, MAPS etc.. voices, add pictures and all other fun stuff??

You can not "tweak" this unit in any way, shape, form or fashion. Everything has to be done through "MyTomTom".
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby rick007 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:07 am

hi! thank you for your reply, yes I know now.

"There is NO (current) way to manipulate/crack/patch/copy/clone or otherwise modify these v10 or v11 navcores which are on all the latest devices and run through MyTomTom rather than TTHome so PLEASE don't ask.

See current list of models here Models that use v10 or v11 navcore

If/as/when this is possible there's a very good chance you'll read about it first on this forum, but for now, don't hold your breath.

The reason why all of the new TomToms since September 2010 (such as the GO1000 range and all VIA models) do not show up as a drive on the computer is because they are using the Linux based file systems instead of FAT/FAT32.

This wasn't a choice by TomTom to make it harder for us to copy or crack their devices. This was done because Microsoft successfully sued TomTom for using the Microsoft FAT and FAT32 file systems on a Linux platform, which Microsoft claimed was an infringement.

Therefore TomTom were forced to use another file system other than a Windows based one. TomToms run on Linux anyway, so the choice to use Linux file systems do make the devices run faster than ever before, as their file systems are generally more reliable and capable than the older FAT/FAT32. This is a positive for customers, but it's a negative for us who want to update our new TomToms by sharing files with each other, as we do on here and other forums.

The only way to currently update the new TomToms is to use their program called "MyTomTom," although you have to pay for updating most things like new maps and safety cameras.

So far, nobody has been successful in trying to "crack" this new system, or rather make it possible for us to update the new TomToms using Windows Explorer. One must wonder though... how hard can it really be??"
rick007 offline

Postby tendriver » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:31 pm

Look for a unit without navcore v10 or v11.

THREAD_CLOSED
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Return to General Discussions about TomTom