TomTom XXL Classic "Map Updates"   

TomTom XXL Classic "Map Updates"

Postby bheart » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:24 pm

Hi

I just purchased the TomTom "5" XXL Classic and I have a couple of questions which I hope you guys can answer for me?

Q1: The device has a 2GB storage space and it has Western Europe MAP v875 3669 installed and, for a new device, is that not quite an old map?

The APP version is 9.170.734651.2

Q2: Having just connected the device to my computer (not TT Home), it shows that there is only "25MB" of FREE space available so I don't think I will be able to "fully update" my device to the latest v880 WE maps?

Q3: I've been looking at the 880 maps and "Western_Europe_880_3810 [2032MB]" is probably what I will need but it is showing that it is "2032MB" in size but, underneath that map, it shows "Western_Europe_880_3862 (1665MB)" which shows the size as being "1665MB" and this should fit on my 2GB device but, I would like to retain all of the options and functionality that came with the new device (but no menu options that I cannot use) so, can anyone advise me please?

Regards, bheart
bheart offline

Postby tendriver » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:00 pm

bheart wrote:Hi

I just purchased the TomTom "5" XXL Classic and I have a couple of questions which I hope you guys can answer for me?

Q1: The device has a 2GB storage space and it has Western Europe MAP v875 3669 installed and, for a new device, is that not quite an old map?

The APP version is 9.170.734651.2

Q2: Having just connected the device to my computer (not TT Home), it shows that there is only "25MB" of FREE space available so I don't think I will be able to "fully update" my device to the latest v880 WE maps?

Q3: I've been looking at the 880 maps and "Western_Europe_880_3810 [2032MB]" is probably what I will need but it is showing that it is "2032MB" in size but, underneath that map, it shows "Western_Europe_880_3862 (1665MB)" which shows the size as being "1665MB" and this should fit on my 2GB device but, I would like to retain all of the options and functionality that came with the new device (but no menu options that I cannot use) so, can anyone advise me please?

Regards, bheart

Q1: Not unless you call mid August 2011 old.

Q2: WE 875.3669 is only 1.49GB & a navcore is around 50MB. I'm not so sure I believe the 25MB Free space.

Q3: Europe_West_880_3810 [1414MB] OR
Europe_West_880_3810 with Automatic Installer & Patcher
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby bheart » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:30 pm

tendriver wrote:Q1: Not unless you call mid August 2011 old.

Q2: WE 875.3669 is only 1.49GB & a navcore is around 50MB. I'm not so sure I believe the 25MB Free space.

Europe_West_880_3810 with Automatic Installer & Patcher

tendriver wrote:Regards, bheart

Q1: Not unless you call mid August 2011 old.

Europe

Hi tendriver

Many thanks for your response.

With regard to the installed map v875 3669, I only going by the map version that came with my TomTom 30 IQR - that was v875 and I bought that device around a year ago.

1. You mention map Europe West v880 3810
or
Europe West v880 3810 with Auto Inst & Patcher

2. As there is a Europe_West map AND a Western_Europe map available for download, do these maps cover the same area?

3. With regard to the 25MB FREE space from 2GB, I can only report that this is what is shown when you look at the device in my computer. If you have any other suggestions on how to check this, please feel free to supply info.

4. With the first map you mention, we have to supply a navcore and do it manually and if so, bearing in mind that my new device has 'loquendo' computer voices, what navcore do you recommend?

If I download the map with the 'auto inst and patcher' does this come with a compatible navcore and if so, which version?

Regards, bheart
bheart offline

Postby tendriver » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:10 pm

bheart wrote:Hi tendriver

Many thanks for your response.

With regard to the installed map v875 3669, I only going by the map version that came with my TomTom 30 IQR - that was v875 and I bought that device around a year ago.

1. You mention map Europe West v880 3810
or
Europe West v880 3810 with Auto Inst & Patcher

2. As there is a Europe_West map AND a Western_Europe map available for download, do these maps cover the same area?

3. With regard to the 25MB FREE space from 2GB, I can only report that this is what is shown when you look at the device in my computer. If you have any other suggestions on how to check this, please feel free to supply info.

4. With the first map you mention, we have to supply a navcore and do it manually and if so, bearing in mind that my new device has 'loquendo' computer voices, what navcore do you recommend?

5. If I download the map with the 'auto inst and patcher' does this come with a compatible navcore and if so, which version?

Regards, bheart

There is no way you had a map version 875 around a year ago.
2. You can see the coverage by looking at the pictures in post 1 of the 880 map thread.
4. your 9.170 navcore is good for ANY 880 map, no change required.
5. No navcore included & no change required.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby bheart » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:52 pm

tendriver wrote:There is no way you had a map version 875 around a year ago.
2. You can see the coverage by looking at the pictures in post 1 of the 880 map thread.
4. your 9.170 navcore is good for ANY 880 map, no change required.
5. No navcore included & no change required.

Hi tendriver

Thank you for your latest response.

I will dig out the original backup and invoice/paperwork for my TomTom 30 IQR and get back to you with 'date of purchase' and what map came with the device.

So I just d/l and extract the new map, then delete the existing map folder and substitute the new map folder and then use 'fast activate' to activate map and patch the existing navcore?

I'm sure that's right?

Many thanks, bheart
bheart offline

Postby tendriver » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:03 pm

Thank you for your latest response.

1. I will dig out the original backup and invoice/paperwork for my TomTom 30 IQR and get back to you with 'date of purchase' and what map came with the device.

2. So I just d/l and extract the new map, then delete the existing map folder and substitute the new map folder and then use 'fastactivate PREMIUM' to activate map and patch the existing navcore?

I'm sure that's right?

Many thanks, bheart

1. Maps 855 = 08/29/2010
860 = 11/17/2010
865 = 01/29/2011
870 = 04/24/2911
875 = 08/03/2911

2. You are correct.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby bheart » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:05 pm

tendriver wrote:1. Maps 855 = 08/29/2010
860 = 11/17/2010
865 = 01/29/2011
870 = 04/24/2911
875 = 08/03/2911

2. You are correct.

Hi tendriver

Thought I'd just update you on the progress of a map update on my new TT XXL Classic but, before I do that, I can see that you have provided a series of map versions and their release dates and 875 is shown as 08/03/2011 - I've not had a chance to dig out the invoice for when I purchased my TomTom 30 IQR but I'm beginning to think that perhaps the installed map from new may have been 845 and I updated to 875 using the 'latest map guarantee' but I will check that out.

OK, I downloaded Europe_West_880_3810 [1414MB], extracted it to a new folder "Europe_West" and I'm good to go but, before I did that, I backed up the complete contents of my new XXL device to my computer hard drive and then connected the device to TomTom Home and used the 'latest map guarantee' to check for a new map and it found W Europe 880 3862 (1650MB).

TomTom home downloaded and installed the new map (but Home mentioned something about not having enough space to install the complete map and that if we were visiting "Berlin" for example, we may need to connect to TT Home to download that map).

Whilst the map was downloading, I checked on navitotal to see what the difference was between the installed map (875 3669) and the new map (880 3862) and below is what I found:

WE 875 3669 supports Cspeech + ASR and IQR + ALG

WE 880 3862 does not support Cspeech + ASR, but does support IQR + ALG

Q1: Why would TomTom provide a map on a new device that supports Cspeech, ASR, IQR and ALG and then provide a map update using 'latest map guarantee which only supports IQR + ALG?

Q2: Cspeech + ASR are obviously features that my TT XXL device can support so I can't understand why TT would allow this to happen.

After TT Home installed the updated 880 6862 map, when connected to my computer, "My Computer" now only shows 8.71MB FREE of 1.84GB (2GB)

The Europe_West 880 3810 that I downloaded last night is a couple of hundred MB smaller and installing that would give me about 200MB free but even that is not that much free space.

I don't think that there is enough free space to download quickfix, mapshare and app updates etc and I'm just wondering if I should return it to factory settings and send it back to Amazon for a refund?

Q3: Do you think that having only 8.71MB free is going to be a problem in the coming weeks/months when I'm trying to download updates?

Your advice would be appreciated.

Regards, bheart
bheart offline

Postby tendriver » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:50 am

Thought I'd just update you on the progress of a map update on my new TT XXL Classic but, before I do that, I can see that you have provided a series of map versions and their release dates and 875 is shown as 08/03/2011 - I've not had a chance to dig out the invoice for when I purchased my TomTom 30 IQR but I'm beginning to think that perhaps the installed map from new may have been 845 and I updated to 875 using the 'latest map guarantee' but I will check that out.

OK, I downloaded Europe_West_880_3810 [1414MB], extracted it to a new folder "Europe_West" and I'm good to go but, before I did that, I backed up the complete contents of my new XXL device to my computer hard drive and then connected the device to TomTom Home and used the 'latest map guarantee' to check for a new map and it found W Europe 880 3862 (1650MB).

TomTom home downloaded and installed the new map (but Home mentioned something about not having enough space to install the complete map and that if we were visiting "Berlin" for example, we may need to connect to TT Home to download that map).

Whilst the map was downloading, I checked on navitotal to see what the difference was between the installed map (875 3669) and the new map (880 3862) and below is what I found:

WE 875 3669 supports Cspeech + ASR and IQR + ALG

WE 880 3862 does not support Cspeech + ASR, but does support IQR + ALG

Q1: Why would TomTom provide a map on a new device that supports Cspeech, ASR, IQR and ALG and then provide a map update using 'latest map guarantee which only supports IQR + ALG?

Q2: Cspeech + ASR are obviously features that my TT XXL device can support so I can't understand why TT would allow this to happen.

After TT Home installed the updated 880 6862 map, when connected to my computer, "My Computer" now only shows 8.71MB FREE of 1.84GB (2GB)

The Europe_West 880 3810 that I downloaded last night is a couple of hundred MB smaller and installing that would give me about 200MB free but even that is not that much free space.

I don't think that there is enough free space to download quickfix, mapshare and app updates etc and I'm just wondering if I should return it to factory settings and send it back to Amazon for a refund?

Q3: Do you think that having only 8.71MB free is going to be a problem in the coming weeks/months when I'm trying to download updates?

Your advice would be appreciated.

Regards, bheart

Q1: "latest map guarantee" will update your device to the latest Edition of the map that you have, with a version that will fit on your device. 6862 is that version.
Q2: Same answer as Q1. The area maps have gotten so large that they won't fit on most of the units. TT has come up with zone maps as a way to fix this. [Please Register or Login to download file]
Q3: No because you aren't going to use 3862. You are going to use full featured "Zone Map" Europe_West 880 3810, that I had you download.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby bheart » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:53 pm

tendriver wrote:Q1: "latest map guarantee" will update your device to the latest Edition of the map that you have, with a version that will fit on your device. 6862 is that version.
Q2: Same answer as Q1. The area maps have gotten so large that they won't fit on most of the units. TT has come up with zone maps as a way to fix this. [Please Register or Login to download file]
Q3: No because you aren't going to use 3862. You are going to use full featured "Zone Map" Europe_West 880 3810, that I had you download.

Hi tendriver

With regard to your answer to Q3, you say that 880 3810 is 'full featured' and supports cspeech + ASR and IQR + ALG, so with regard to "cspeech + ASR", to use these features, the device will need to have a built in 'mic' and I'm not sure if our new TomTom XXL Classic has one?

Thanks, BHeart
bheart offline

Postby tendriver » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:27 pm

Run this: TomTom Current Config for newbies {29.09.2011} & post the results here.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby bheart » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:52 pm

tendriver wrote:Run this: TomTom Current Config for newbies {29.09.2011} & post the results here.

Hi tendriver

Just downloaded and ran 'current config', results below but, bear in mind that everything on my XXL Classic is straight from TomTom: (i.e. original and untouched by anything from 'navitotal' - yet!)

TTGO.BIF:
DeviceName=TomTom XXL Classic Series
DeviceVersionHW=ONE XXL Classic
BootLoaderVersion=55281
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=9170
ApplicationVersion=734651.2
CurrentMap=Western_Europe
CurrentMapVersion=880.3862
TTGO.BAK:
Not Found...
TTGO.ORI:
Not Found...
TTNAVIGATOR.BIF:
Not Found...

By the way, since buying the XXL Classic, we have connected to TT Home three times and have received a map update and mapshare but, so far, no "Quickfix GPS Updates". I'm using the same computer for my TTONE 1st Ed, TTONE 3rd Ed and now our TTXXL Classic and I've noticed that in Documents\TomTom\HOME, my 1st and 3rd Edition devices are mentioned but there is no mention of my XXL Classic.

Q: Any idea why I'm not getting Quickfix Updates for my XXL device?

I ran the QuickGPSfix Update Utility I downloaded via 'navitotal' and was then asked which chipset the device had? I looked through the System Information of the device and could not see any GPS Chipset mentioned.

Q: What chipset does the XXL Classic use? The choice given by the utility was GlobalLocate or SiRFstar.

Thanks, BHeart
bheart offline

Postby tendriver » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:57 pm

bheart wrote:Q1: Any idea why I'm not getting Quickfix Updates for my XXL device?

I ran the QuickGPSfix Update Utility I downloaded via 'navitotal' and was then asked which chipset the device had? I looked through the System Information of the device and could not see any GPS Chipset mentioned.

Q2: What chipset does the XXL Classic use? The choice given by the utility was GlobalLocate or SiRFstar.

Q1: From TT.com: "When downloading updates, TomTom HOME will automatically download QuickGPSfix once every 7 days. " Give it a few more days.

Q2: With your XXL turned off, hold your start button down until you get the black & white spec page. The chipset info is on it.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby bheart » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:02 am

tendriver wrote:Q1: From TT.com: "When downloading updates, TomTom HOME will automatically download QuickGPSfix once every 7 days. " Give it a few more days.

Q2: With your XXL turned off, hold your start button down until you get the black & white spec page. The chipset info is on it.

Hi tendriver

Thank you for your last response.

In post 10 you asked me to post my 'current config' and I did so in post 11. Did you get any info from my results and if so, what are your findings?

With regard to what chipset my device has, I held down the start button and the 'black & white spec spec' appeared but there was no mention of what chipset my XXL Classic uses?

The only thing that relates to "GPS" on the config screen is where it states:

GPS Type: GL2BCM4750 FFFF

Thanks, bheart
bheart offline

Postby tendriver » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:40 am

Thank you for your last response.

1. In post 10 you asked me to post my 'current config' and I did so in post 11. Did you get any info from my results and if so, what are your findings?

With regard to what chipset my device has, I held down the start button and the 'black & white spec spec' appeared but there was no mention of what chipset my XXL Classic uses?

The only thing that relates to "GPS" on the config screen is where it states:

2. GPS Type: GL2BCM4750 FFFF

Thanks, bheart

1. There is so little ONE XXL Classic info available, I wanted to see how your unit referred to itself in this line:
DeviceVersionHW=ONE XXL Classic

2. That's your chipset. GL2BCM4750 = GL2 = GlobalLocate
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby bheart » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:45 pm

tendriver wrote:1. There is so little ONE XXL Classic info available, I wanted to see how your unit referred to itself in this line: DeviceVersionHW=ONE XXL Classic
2. That's your chipset. GL2BCM4750 = GL2 = GlobalLocate

Hi tendriver

Thanks again for your help.

Ok, what info where you hoping to see in that line and, I'm just wondering why it's not there?

With regard to the chipset, so it's GlobalLocate, should have realized that from the "GL"?

Q: By the way, I keep forgetting to ask, you have answered all my questions but are you in the UK or somewhere else?

Q: You are "Super Moderator" and always seem to be available anytime of the day, is this what you do for a job?
bheart offline

Next

Return to General Discussions about TomTom