TomTom XXL RW IQ RE   

TomTom XXL RW IQ RE

Postby jpucik » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:59 am

Hello I have got device above which keeps rebooting or freezing on the startup screen

I tried with tomtom home software and with lots of navcores but nothing helped

Because I am electronic engineer I would like if someone does not have any advice which part need be changed

Cfeon, memchip ? ram chip or gps chip ? I would like to believe that ARM is working well ( My tip is for gps chip )

I know is a common issue but have no idea where I could start with

Thank you
jpucik offline

Re: TomTom XXL RW IQ RE

Postby Razorblatter » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:23 am

Did you try to start with a empty device?
Quick format fat32, connect with computer and let TTH install software.
That should give you latest software (9.510) after a few updates. See if that starts normally.
Then install map and patch navcore and map.
Razorblatter offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby jpucik » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:42 am

O man did you read my post ? I have tried nearly everything :-)

Do you think every repair can be done with software or navcore ? or format32 ? nope nope nope and sure I tried 9510 and 9540

If I do with 9061 I will past the setting time to white screen then frozen :-) and reboot

I think someone tried navcore and accidentally reflashed the bootloader but navcore reflashed the gps chip too ( just idea ) and then someone tried downgrade the bootloader but that reflashed bootloader and not gps chip may be, so now I am going to change this chip ( gps chip BCM4750 ) :-) I tried TCXO yesterday if you know what is it but no success

I will inform you

But Thank you
jpucik offline

Postby Razorblatter » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:39 am

Well, I did read your post and I could not make out what you did exactly.
In fact I still do not know for sure if you installed a (patched) navcore or let TTH install navcores.
In normal cases and, other than in cases with technical failures, that should give you the cleanest working install.

Sorry, I really can't be of help when it gets technical so applying a soldering iron and changing electronic partss... :lol:
Razorblatter offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby jpucik » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:09 pm

Yes in normal case you do format and clean install from tthome, I know but this is something different
If you try browse this forum for xxl iq routes edition you will see I am not alone with this, but no clear answer about which part has gone :-( strange :-) I found answer like if you tried everything with software then sorry some part has gone but which one this is question

Thanks again
jpucik offline

Postby fredderf » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:32 pm

Try running the [Please Register or Login to download file] from TomTom 2 or 3 times

Before you start de-soldering components, try deleting and re-making the partition on the internal disk, then format, reload etc
fredderf offline

Administrator

Postby jpucik » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:49 pm

Hello thank you for tip :-) I did not try that yet that is true, and which os you mean would be great

Dos ? Linux ? win ?

I am on Win 10

Thank you
jpucik offline

Postby jpucik » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:06 pm

Hmmm I tried now but I could not remove the partition or delete it

I tried win 10 and win xp in wmware
jpucik offline

Postby jpucik » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:11 pm

I found it :-)
jpucik offline

Postby fredderf » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:40 pm

First, try a hard reset (hold power button down for at least 30 seconds) and run the clear flash tool 2 or 3 times then see what happens.

If that didn't work you might want to try re-partitioning it before you assume it's a hardware fault and start de-soldering components. I've used HDDGURU Low Level Format Tool in the past, it's free but may not work with Windows 10 so you may have to use XP. It will allow you to delete the partition and MBR and then low level format. You'll need to create a new partition and use a windows format utility to format to FAT32, then re-install navcore 9.510
fredderf offline

Administrator

Postby jpucik » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:36 pm

Hello just note I did everything but no success at all but thank you I never ever tried delete partition on usb device before :-)at least we know now that if you have got problem with this kind of tomtom ( keeps rebooting or rebooting after settings ) no format or hdd low level or whatever you do with internal memory would help you. So could someone tell me what exactly happens ? Where the settings are stored ? Or what is going on when you do all setting and then press ok ? its synchronized the time with arm ? or with gps chip ? Hmmmm ?
jpucik offline

Postby fredderf » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:28 pm

jpucik wrote:Hello just note I did everything but no success at all but thank you I never ever tried delete partition on usb device before :-)at least we know now that if you have got problem with this kind of tomtom ( keeps rebooting or rebooting after settings ) no format or hdd low level or whatever you do with internal memory would help you. So could someone tell me what exactly happens ? Where the settings are stored ? Or what is going on when you do all setting and then press ok ? its synchronized the time with arm ? or with gps chip ? Hmmmm ?

Well it was worth a try, at least you know now it's not a problem with the storage. A low level format will cure a red flashing cross on boot up though.

AFAIK the gps chip doesn't have an eeprom so cannot be written to, so if it's gone the symptom will be no satellite lock but otherwise system works fine.

I'm not sure but I think the arm chip holds the settings...my bet would be the ram is defective and falls over when the data is read from arm and put into ram.
fredderf offline

Administrator

Postby jpucik » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:42 pm

GPS chip has a firmware as well so must be stored somewhere in the gps chip

And if the ram issue then a bit different symptoms, I changed few in my life :-) I tried swap the cfeon today but did not work ( I do not know if board I took was good ) I will try next time

I have this tomtom just for playing I can not lost anything bro
jpucik offline

Postby jpucik » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:46 pm

Whatever I do not think the setting of the tomtom like language or time could be stored in gps :-) the cfeon chip maybe have no idea so far
jpucik offline

Postby fredderf » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:33 pm

jpucik wrote:Whatever I do not think the setting of the tomtom like language or time could be stored in gps

Settings are stored in a file called ttgo.bif (open in notepad)
fredderf offline

Administrator

Next

Return to General Discussions about TomTom