Via 120/140   

Via 120/140

Postby Tomc » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:48 pm

Hello,
I am new here and I am looking for some advice/help with my tomtom. I think its either a Via 120 or 140. I am going to Las Vegas on holiday soon (I am from the UK) and was wondering if its possible to install USA maps on this tomtom? I am planning on driving and they don't have navigation to hire.
If this is possible how would I go about it and does anyone know where I could get a USA map from?

Many thanks in advance for any help given.

Cheers
Tom
Tomc offline

Postby tendriver » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:55 pm

Tomc wrote:Hello,
I am new here and I am looking for some advice/help with my tomtom. I think its either a Via 120 or 140. I am going to Las Vegas on holiday soon (I am from the UK) and was wondering if its possible to install USA maps on this tomtom? I am planning on driving and they don't have navigation to hire.
If this is possible how would I go about it and does anyone know where I could get a USA map from?

Many thanks in advance for any help given.

Cheers
Tom

Read it & Weep!!

Important note for new Tomtom models like VIA, Start20/25, Go1xxx - please read!
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Tomc » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:37 pm

If I buy this will I be able to put a USA map on it without paying a fortune? [Please Register or Login to download file]

If you have any suggestions for something cheaper or better that would be great.

Thanks for your swift reply and sorry for starting a new thread! Didn't notice that one.
Tomc offline

Postby Downunder35m » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:48 pm

There are similar requests alost eavery week, simply check the first few pages of the general discussion and you will find enough answers!
;)
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby tendriver » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:37 am

Tomc wrote:If I buy this will I be able to put a USA map on it without paying a fortune? [Please Register or Login to download file]

This unit would be ideal for your trip to the US. Yes you can put a US map on it. The main concern for updating/adding maps is map/navcore compatiblity & adequate storage memory for the size of the map. This unit meets both requirements
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Tomc » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:32 pm

Hi again,
Sorry to be a pain in the a** I have looked at previous topics 5 pages back and can't find anything on this Tom Tom to my knowledge [Please Register or Login to download file]

Would it be simple to install the USA maps on this Tom Tom or is it quite complicated? I have read the tutorial but to no avail. Would someone be able to give me a run down on what I need to do with this satnav?
Tomc offline

Postby Blaat12 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:36 pm

Last I checked (similar situation with a Via 130) the USA map costs 39,95 Euros (dutch online price)
So if this should be your only reason to buy named device to hack the card onto that one with a lot of trouble.
I'm going to france this year (irrelevant) and USA in 2014, but a 8GB sd card and original map cost me less than all the trouble of the above path. (and that is of course my opinion.)
Good luck with finding your way. (I thought this was an appropriate greeting on this forum ;) )
Blaat12 offline

Postby Tomc » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:21 pm

I think I am just going to buy one over there then bring it back an sell it perhaps :D seems the easier option.
Tomc offline

Postby Downunder35m » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:32 pm

Easier than reading a bit of information and following instructions?
In that case going the offical way is the only way...
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby tendriver » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:43 am

Tomc wrote:1. I have looked at previous topics 5 pages back and can't find anything on this Tom Tom to my knowledge
2. Would it be simple to install the USA maps on this Tom Tom or is it quite complicated? I have read the tutorial but to no avail. Would someone be able to give me a run down on what I need to do with this satnav?

1. I told you in post 5, that this unit would be ideal for your trip to the US. What more do you need to know?
2. Download the map. Unzip the map. Remove the old map folder from device. Copy new map folder into device. Patch navcore & map. Done. Can it be any simpler??
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Return to General Discussions about TomTom