Which satnav to buy?   

Which satnav to buy?

Postby crazychick » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:55 pm

Having been incredibly impressed by this site and the help received from tendriver with updating my go910 I want to try it again!

My OH would like a satnav and I wondered if I should buy an old tomtom or a nonTT version and patch TT onto it.

Preferably the latest version and a self patching on at that?

It will need to be able to hold Western Europe but not much more.

Thanks
crazychick offline

Postby tendriver » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:05 pm

Look for the cheapest model you can find that has:

1. at least a 4.3" screen
2. at least 64 MB RAM memory
3. at least a 2GB internal memory
4. a SD card slot

I would avoid these new models.

GO 1000
GO 1005
Via 120 (+ all other Via models)
Via 125
GO LIVE 800
GO LIVE 825
GO 7100
GO 7150
GO 7100 TRUCK
GO 7150 TRUCK
GO 9100
GO 9150
Start 20
Start 25
Blue & Me TomTom 2 LIVE
Sony XNV
There is NO (current) way to manipulate/crack/patch/copy/clone or otherwise modify these v10 navcores which are on all the latest devices and run through MyTomTom rather
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Fatboyfun » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:31 pm

If Tomtom is important to you then buy a Tomtom device, as the Windows CE version is only a basic version and can be picky about what devices it runs on.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby crazychick » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:48 pm

Thanks Fatboyfun, I was looking at the Binatone g500.

Would I be better buying a used tomtom xl?
crazychick offline

Postby tendriver » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:10 pm

crazychick wrote:

Would I be better buying a used tomtom xl?

Some XLs don't meet the 4 requirements in post 2. For a used/refurb unit, I'd look for a GO 720/730.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby crazychick » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:15 pm

D'oh, this is harder than I thought!
crazychick offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:36 pm

Some Binatones are now shipping with Windows CE 6 installed, Tomtom doesn't run properly under CE 6, There are alternatives to Tomtom for these devices, but if it must be Tomtom, I would buy a Tomtom device that meets the criteria TD listed above.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby oldfogy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:37 pm

crazychick wrote:D'oh, this is harder than I thought!
Yes I have to agree with you on that.

But, one TT that is missing off the list above is the original TomTom One.
Yes it only has a small screen, 32MB RAM memory, no internal memory but will take a SD Card 'up-to 4GB' so will take any size map that is thrown at it.
Also if you update the Navcore to 9.205 (which works best for me) then it will play music files, operate as a text reader and also display pictures.
"I have never tried the text to speech facility so do can't comment on that part"

So it's not really fair to say "Look for the cheapest model you can find that has:"

4. a SD card slot

So if it's just a basic device that operates as a SatNav that someone wants, that could also be considered.
oldfogy offline

User avatar Junior Member

Postby tendriver » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:32 pm

oldfogy wrote:" So it's not really fair to say "Look for the cheapest model you can find that has

4. a SD card slot

Having done this for quite some time, I can tell you that users want the biggest bang that they can get for their Buck/Pound/Euro. I have posted the above recommendation many many times. You are the 1 and only user that has made a negative comment. Based on my track record, I'll stick with what the users want. Thanx for your concern.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby oldfogy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:56 pm

I didn't mean it in a negative way, I merely meant it is another option.

I can assure you, I understand that you know more with regards to satnavs than I ever will and I would never go so far as to say anything detrimental towards you or your advice, I'm just trying (in vain it seems) to help.
oldfogy offline

User avatar Junior Member

Postby tendriver » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:01 pm

oldfogy wrote:no internal memory but will take a SD Card 'up-to 4GB' so will take any size map that is thrown at it.

If the bootloader is lower than 5.5015, this is correct only if the card is a standard 4GB SD card & not a SDHC card. A SDHC card requires bootloader 5.5015 or higher.

oldfogy wrote:I'm just trying (in vain it seems) to help.

I appreciate your desire to help. Every once in a while, the best help can be just sitting on one's hands!!
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby bheart » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:57 pm

tendriver wrote:Look for the cheapest model you can find that has:

4. a SD card slot

I would avoid these new models.

GO 1000
GO 1005
Via 120 (+ all other Via models)
Via 125
GO LIVE 800
GO LIVE 825
GO 7100
GO 7150
GO 7100 TRUCK
GO 7150 TRUCK
GO 9100
GO 9150
Start 20
Start 25
Blue & Me TomTom 2 LIVE
Sony XNV
There is NO (current) way to manipulate/crack/patch/copy/clone or otherwise modify these v10 navcores which are on all the latest devices and run through MyTomTom rather

Hi tendriver

I was thinking of treating myself to a new TomTom and I've been looking at the following model on the TomTom website:

[Please Register or Login to download file]

TomTom XXL Classic Western Europe which has a 5" screen but, unfortunately, after checking the 'spec', I'm not sure if it meets the minimum requirements you set out above? i.e. 64MB RAM, 2GB internal memory, SD card slot?

This unit is being sold as one of the newest with ALG, IQR and spoken road names, so I'm assuming that the device comes with TTS voices installed and therefore supports Vocalizer TTS?

Do you have any links that will give me a more detailed 'spec'?

Amazon and Halfords are selling it for £116 and, normally, the more 'bells and whistles' you want, the more money you will have to pay.

Your advice is appreciated. :)

Regards, BHeart
bheart offline

Postby tendriver » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:31 pm

bheart wrote:Hi tendriver

I was thinking of treating myself to a new TomTom and I've been looking at the following model on the TomTom website:

[Please Register or Login to download file]

1. TomTom XXL Classic Western Europe which has a 5" screen but, unfortunately, after checking the 'spec', I'm not sure if it meets the minimum requirements you set out above? i.e. 64MB RAM, 2GB internal memory, SD card slot?

2. This unit is being sold as one of the newest with ALG, IQR and spoken road names, so I'm assuming that the device comes with TTS voices installed and therefore supports Vocalizer TTS?

Do you have any links that will give me a more detailed 'spec'?

Amazon and Halfords are selling it for £116 and, normally, the more 'bells and whistles' you want, the more money you will have to pay.

3. Your advice is appreciated. :)

Regards, BHeart

1. It meets the recommended minimum requirements, except it has no card slot. As long as you don't think you will ever need more than 2GB of storage, you are OK.
2. Remember that ALG & IQ are map features, not device features. Spoken road names is done by LoquendoTTS, not the old,old VocalizerTTS.
3. All said & done, this is not a bad unit.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby bheart » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:12 pm

tendriver wrote:1. It meets the recommended minimum requirements, except it has no card slot. As long as you don't think you will ever need more than 2GB of storage, you are OK.
2. Remember that ALG & IQ are map features, not device features. Spoken road names is done by LoquendoTTS, not the old,old VocalizerTTS.
3. All said & done, this is not a bad unit.

Hi tendriver

Many thanks for your last reply.

With regard to the 'storage capacity' of the TomTom I'm thinking of buying, that was one of my questions, so I'm assuming that you were able to get this info and that it is 2GB maximum storage?

The TomTom 'spec' on the device clearly states that the device has "spoken instructions now include street names" so, just to confirm, would my new device have "LoquendoTTS"?

As far as having an SD Card slot, that would be handy to have but, which of the latest devices if any, would be likely to have a card slot?

Once again, thank you for your help.

Regards, BHeart
bheart offline

Postby tendriver » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:46 pm

bheart wrote:Hi tendriver

Many thanks for your last reply.

1. With regard to the 'storage capacity' of the TomTom I'm thinking of buying, that was one of my questions, so I'm assuming that you were able to get this info and that it is 2GB maximum storage?

2. The TomTom 'spec' on the device clearly states that the device has "spoken instructions now include street names" so, just to confirm, would my new device have "LoquendoTTS"?

3. As far as having an SD Card slot, that would be handy to have but, which of the latest devices if any, would be likely to have a card slot?

Once again, thank you for your help.

Regards, BHeart

1. Yes.
2. The only way to have spoken street names is with a computer voice, ie LoquendoTTS, as clearly stated in post 13.
3. Just a couple of the GO work units & rider units.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Next

Return to General Discussions about TomTom