yet another newbie request for help   

yet another newbie request for help

Postby timtimtim123 » Sun May 20, 2012 4:25 am

I'm a big ol newbie with updating GPS maps. I've been doing a lot of reading on your site but ultimately I realized I need a hand.

I have done the following:
[SPOILER=I have done the following]1. Backed up all files/folders from my TomTom onto my PC (including hidden files)
2. Downloaded and run TTCurrentConfig.exe
3. Read a lot of tutorials and posts on your site[/spoiler]

Specific information:
[SPOILER=Specific information]1. I bought my TomTom from an estate sale earlier today, it came with the car charger and nothing else
2. I live in the US and only care about having US maps
3. It is a TomTom ONE XL (4S00.00)
4. MyVersions.txt:
TTGO.BIF:
DeviceName=TomTom ONE XL
DeviceVersionHW=ONE XL
BootLoaderVersion=53026
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=7130
ApplicationVersion=8476
TTGO.BAK:
Not Found...
TTGO.ORI:
Not Found...
TTNAVIGATOR.BIF:
Not Found...
5. Before finding this site I ran both fastactivate.exe and autoactivate.exe in a failed attempt to update my maps, following the information from: XXX[url=http://]http://[/url][/spoiler]

Help:
[SPOILER=Help]So in a nutshell I *think* my map update failure is because I have a very old NavCore (is that correct?). In which case I believe I need to update my NavCore to the most recent compatible one for my unit, which I believe to be 8.010 (is that correct)? After doing which I would need to download the most recent maps which I assume would be limited by my NavCore version, but I failed to find any mention of that (are maps limited by NavCore version, and if so is there a list anywhere?). Finally I would need to install the maps, which I believe I understand: copy them into the corresponding map folder of the GPS file system, run autoactivate/fastactivate from the root, then remove and restart the GPS.[/spoiler]

In short I simply want to update the device for the most current maps and be on my way. However I understand it's a real pain when newbs come along and ask for individual help, so I'm perfectly happy to follow tutorials etc. If anyone has any links to information that fills the holes in my understanding of the process or can help answer any of the Help section above, I'll be extremely grateful!
timtimtim123 offline

Postby Downunder35m » Sun May 20, 2012 9:56 am

XL models are very fuzzy when it comes to using Navcores not designed for the device.
First thing you should decide if you need a higher Navcore or if you are happy with basic navigation.
Best option is to first use TT Home to update to the latest official Navcore for your device - FA should be able to patch that with no Problems.
If you add a map for that NC make sure to check the chart first, but it might be good idea to leave the old map on for a few more days - the new 890 maps are on the way.
So far you've done good.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby timtimtim123 » Sun May 20, 2012 7:32 pm

I really appreciate the fast and friendly response, thank you!

To answer your question, right now I don't care about using a more sophisticated Navcore than that which is intended for my device. It's possible we might in the future though, so I wouldn't like to do anything to prevent that option however.

I am following your advice, and I started by installing TomTom Home and updating the GPS. MyVersions.txt now reports:
[SPOILER=myversions.txt]TTGO.BIF:
DeviceName=TomTom ONE XL
DeviceVersionHW=ONE XL
BootLoaderVersion=53026
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=8010
ApplicationVersion=9369
CurrentMap=USA_and_Canada
CurrentMapVersion=710.1575
TTGO.BAK:
Not Found...
TTGO.ORI:
Not Found...
TTNAVIGATOR.BIF:
Not Found... [/spoiler]

Is there a drawback in me downloading and using the 885 maps for now, and then switching to the 890 when they're released? As I understand it, all I have to lose is just the time it takes to download them, the 30 mins waiting for them to upload to the GPS etc, but is that right?

Again, thanks for all the help.
timtimtim123 offline

Postby tendriver » Sun May 20, 2012 7:47 pm

timtimtim123 wrote:I really appreciate the fast and friendly response, thank you!
1. To answer your question, right now I don't care about using a more sophisticated Navcore than that which is intended for my device. It's possible we might in the future though, so I wouldn't like to do anything to prevent that option however.

I am following your advice, and I started by installing TomTom Home and updating the GPS. MyVersions.txt now reports:
[SPOILER=myversions.txt]TTGO.BIF:
DeviceName=TomTom ONE XL
DeviceVersionHW=ONE XL
BootLoaderVersion=53026
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=8010
ApplicationVersion=9369
CurrentMap=USA_and_Canada
CurrentMapVersion=710.1575
TTGO.BAK:
Not Found...
TTGO.ORI:
Not Found...
TTNAVIGATOR.BIF:
Not Found... [/spoiler]

2. Is there a drawback in me downloading and using the 885 maps for now, and then switching to the 890 when they're released? As I understand it, all I have to lose is just the time it takes to download them, the 30 mins waiting for them to upload to the GPS etc, but is that right?

Again, thanks for all the help.

1. You can't do anything to mess up future options.
2. There is no drawback except your time, as you stated.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby timtimtim123 » Mon May 21, 2012 5:07 pm

Much appreciated! The process is a lot easier than I imagined it to be then.

Thank you for the advice, and upkeep of the fine site.
timtimtim123 offline

Postby tendriver » Mon May 21, 2012 5:23 pm

timtimtim123 wrote:Much appreciated! The process is a lot easier than I imagined it to be then.

Thank you for the advice, and upkeep of the fine site.

You are Welcome.
What you want to do is very simple. Remove the old map folder. Copy in the new map folder. Patch the navcore & map with FastActivate 1.8.8.5 Premium.

DONE!
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Return to General Discussions about TomTom