Tom Tom Go 940 Live map activation   

Re: Tom Tom Go 940 Live map activation

Postby xylobe » Fri Aug 16, 2024 7:43 am

Hello fredderf,

Thank you for your reply and continued patience, and thanks for moving the posts and creating a new thread, I was conscious of hyjacking the previous thread.

Ok, I haven't tried that but was considering it via reading a previous post with a pretty much identical reply in it from yourself >>> general-discussions-about-tomtom/card-map-issue-with-740-live-t23096.html

I was trying to get to a logical reason for why it wasn't working. I'm now wondering if this is an anomaly that yourself and others have previously found and why you put everything on the micro sdcard.

I'll do that this evening/over the weekend and report back.

Thanks again

xylobe
xylobe offline

Postby fredderf » Fri Aug 16, 2024 12:28 pm

xylobe wrote:I was trying to get to a logical reason for why it wasn't working. I'm now wondering if this is an anomaly that yourself and others have previously found and why you put everything on the micro sdcard.

There are a number of reasons why you could be having problems which might take some time to figure out so I wouldn't bother.

There's no anomaly, it's more about keeping it simple. Put the whole lot onto a 32GB SD card so it's all running from the same place, use FastActivate method below to activate the maps...then check if you still have a problem?

When using FastActivate, copy it to the root of your device > select option 1 to update the meta codes and close FA > find meta.txt in the root & check it has the relevant meta code for the map you need > if ok close it & rename meta.txt file to mymeta.txt > run FA again and select option 2 to activate the map > done
fredderf offline

Administrator

Postby fredderf » Mon Aug 19, 2024 9:23 am

Updated the instructions above
fredderf offline

Administrator

Postby xylobe » Tue Aug 20, 2024 5:09 pm

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh hah!!

Hello fredderf,

Firstly, thanks for the "put everything on micro sdcard" tip, as it was an improvement but.................

I have kept quiet all weekend and Monday evening trying to get maps to work, specifically:-

Europe_West_1130_12303
DD 73 92 97 E0 42 ED 10 8F 28 32 36 92 AD E3 5D

Europe_North_1135_12395
F9 3D 3A 4B 27 39 42 17 04 E9 F5 D1 84 82 06 F5

Europe_West_1135_12395
15 AB 25 D9 06 70 E3 70 7B EB D2 7A 25 82 52 97

Each of the above (according to compatability charts and the TT_List defining the device as NAV2) made me convinced these maps should work, but could I get them to work............... no chance. All failed on .dct error,s eventhough I checked the meta file for their specific content.

This evening, I decided to log in and post the question regarding assurance that these should work, as I thought I was going mad, when I have now seen your post from yesterday. Changing the filename from meta.txt to mymeta.txt on both the internal memory and the micro sdcard and running FA on each now has all the maps working!!!

So, a big thank you for that. But, for my own understanding:-
- why is this?
- does it apply to other devices, as I have others to play with and I don't think I have had to do that before on devices such as XL, and I don't recall reading that before either?
- is it just certain devices that this applies to, or will all devices accept this filename?

I'm now going to download other maps that I had previously tried and get this device fully kitted out.

Then I am going to post a new question via a new thread regarding a Start unit.

Thanks again for your patience and coming back with that nugget above, very much appreciated, which has abated the onset of madness.

xylobe
xylobe offline

Postby fredderf » Wed Aug 21, 2024 5:53 am

xylobe wrote:Firstly, thanks for the "put everything on micro sdcard" tip, as it was an improvement but.................

Changing the filename from meta.txt to mymeta.txt on both the internal memory and the micro sdcard and running FA on each now has all the maps working!!!

So, a big thank you for that. But, for my own understanding:-
- why is this?
- does it apply to other devices, as I have others to play with and I don't think I have had to do that before on devices such as XL, and I don't recall reading that before either?
- is it just certain devices that this applies to, or will all devices accept this filename?

As I said before, putting it all on an SD card is just for keeping it all simple and in one place

The mymeta.txt thing is a development made by the author of FA and it happened some time ago...I don't know why
It applies to all devices and it is also mentioned in the help file...not that anybody reads that

Anyway, I'm glad you got it sorted out
fredderf offline

Administrator

Postby xylobe » Wed Aug 21, 2024 7:32 am

Hello fredderf,

Ok, another lesson learnt......... regularly check in on help files associated with a file, even if you've been using that file for a while and you think you are conversant with it!!

Thanks to you and all here that make this forum a good place to sort out satnav issues and learn.

xylobe
xylobe offline

Previous

Return to > Maps v1XXX