Greetings All ,
I have a Nuvi 2689 LMT with an HWID of 1772
Code: Select all
<Model>
<PartNumber>006-B1772-00</PartNumber>
 <SoftwareVersion>880</SoftwareVersion>
<Description>nüvi 2689</Description>

I have an older map which is unlocked and installs in Basecamp no problem
However when I come to install to the device I get the well known error message - "Cannot Unlock Map" - "Map is corrupted" .. and so on
I have downloaded the correct patched rar file from here ( not sure if I need an updated file ? )
Just to be sure if the procedure remains the same ..
How to Install from an SD Package - Instructions:

Download the RAR file from the Link attached then extract directly to a clean microSD formatted in FAT32 (best using WinRar to extract).
If your device has a Firmware version lower than 8.80 all is okay, otherwise a firmware downgrade is advisable, although it should not be necessary because I forced a firmware version of 8.81
Anyway, you can download an older firmware release from here:

Code: Select all
[Please Register or Login to download file]

Ensure the device is fully OFF (not in standby), insert the card in device and power on.
"Loader" will appear on screen for some time and the device will boot up when the flash of patched firmware is complete.
The device can reboot itsself during the process.
After the Patch is applied the device will be able to read Unlocked Maps.
When the flash has completed remove the card, in its root will be a new file named 154.bin.
That's a backup of the device's non-volatile memory region and may save your device at a later date.
You would be best to keep a copy of it somewhere safe for as long as you have the device.
In case of flashing of a new version of the Original Firmware the Patch must be repeated, so you have not run Garmin Express with device connected as the software update first Firmware Device if any available. Do one of the following alternative ways:

Methode 1 (with device NOT connected)
Get file GarminDevice.xml from your Device (you find it in folder \Garmin)
Put the file in a Removable device, as an SD Memory or an USB stick (8 or 16 GB) in folder \Garmin
Run Garmin Express, your Device will be recognized as well
Do all the Update you want (when GE ask you to reboot device, simply secure remove your memory from PC and reinsert again)
When Update finishes you will have ALL the files you need in the memory, simply move them into device.
Using this Tip you have all the vantages of Garmin Express, without any problem of bricking, and you leave the Firmware release untouched

Methode 2 (with device USB connected)
With the device connected GE copy new Firmware Update (if any available) into device and ask for reboot
Do not remove the device (this is very important) but move GUPDATE.GCD in your PC (you find it in folder \.System)
Patch your Firmware using Firmware Patcher. You get a file renamed as GUPDATE_Patched.GCD
This file must be renamed as GUPDATE.GCD and copied onto device overwriting the existing one
Now you can surely reboot your device. The Firmware loaded will be patched as well
I would be most grateful if someone could confirm that this is what I need to do and if there are any newer instructions ?

Thank you
ConTour offline

Re: Universal Firmware Patcher for Protected Garmin Devices

Postby GarminNuvi » Sat Oct 19, 2024 6:04 pm

ConTour wrote:Greetings All ,
I have a Nuvi 2689 LMT with an HWID of 1772
I would be most grateful if someone could confirm that this is what I need to do and if there are any newer instructions ?
Thank you

Welcome to the forum.
SD card Patch Kits for automotive devices has made Patching "Plug & Play" .
software/universal-firmware-patcher-for-protected-garmin-devices-t17987-1125.html?hilit=1772#p187737
Before you post, "The archive is corrupt or damaged"
Please make sure your archive software is up to date or just Use the latest [Please Register or Login to download file]
GarminNuvi offline

User avatar Senior Moderator

Postby bobber77 » Mon Oct 21, 2024 5:35 pm

GarminNuvi wrote:If your device is showing 8.82 then the Patched firmware is installed.
Patching is to allow the device to use shared unlocked maps.
Firmware versions are advanced to stop people accidently overwriting the Patched Firmware with the original 8.80 when using Garmin Express for other updates.
Your are not using the "Thumbs Up" button so we cannot see which maps you have downloaded.

Please do not use a PM to ask questions, that's what the forum is for and everyone can learn from the posts.

Sorry, but my device still cannot use the City Navigator Russia NTU 2022.10 - Here maps. An activation code is required.
What am I doing wrong?
bobber77 offline

Postby GarminNuvi » Mon Oct 21, 2024 6:12 pm

bobber77 wrote:
Sorry, but my device still cannot use the City Navigator Russia NTU 2022.10 - Here maps. An activation code is required.
What am I doing wrong?

Is the CN Russia NTU 2022.10 map unlocked ?
Try this [Please Register or Login to download file] to test your device is Patched.
Please make sure your archive software is up to date or just Use the latest [Please Register or Login to download file]
GarminNuvi offline

Postby bobber77 » Tue Oct 22, 2024 5:34 pm

Hello, somehow that doesn't work either. The patch is installed, but I can't install the map and can't just use it.
It would be nice if you could give me step-by-step instructions. Or are they here in the forum?
Thanks
bobber77 offline

Postby GarminNuvi » Tue Oct 22, 2024 5:58 pm

bobber77 wrote:Hello, somehow that doesn't work either. The patch is installed, but I can't install the map and can't just use it.
It would be nice if you could give me step-by-step instructions. Or are they here in the forum?
Thanks
So the test map didn't work. Did it show up in My Maps,did you get an error where are you putting the gmapsupp.img ?
Take pictures
The instructions are on the post you got the Kit from.
software/universal-firmware-patcher-for-protected-garmin-devices-t17987-1080.html?hilit=1947#p187193
GarminNuvi offline

Previous

Return to Software